Hornbill Unleashed

March 12, 2013

One soldier, 3 gunmen killed in Lahad Datu clash

One Malaysian soldier and three Sulu gunmen were killed in a gun battle at Sungai Nyamuk near Kampung Tanjung Batu in Sabah’s restive east coast today, Armed Forces chief Tan Sri Gen Zulkifeli Mohd Zin confirmed.

The three Sulus were in a group of five that were spotted at 7.45am by security forces cleaning up the area after last week’s bombardment to flush out the Filipino militants that intruded into Malaysia.

The soldier has been identified as Private Mohd Hurairah from Kelantan who had been stationed at Camp Kukusan Tawau in Sabah.

The first firefight between Malaysian forces and the Sulu gang started on March 1 and resulted in the death of 20 Sulu militants and eight Malaysians.

The Kiram clan, who claim to be heirs to the Sulu sultanate that own Sabah, has labelled the clash as the “March 1 massacre”.

Reeling from the loss of Malaysian lives, Putrajaya launched Ops Daulat last Tuesday to flush out the rest of the Sulu invaders, sending in battalions of troops and launching an airstrike on the militants led by Filipino rebel, Agbimuddin Kiram.

As of yesterday afternoon, the Sulu incursion in Sabah has resulted in the deaths of 63 people, including 54 Filipino militants, eight Malaysian policemen and one teenage boy, whose nationality is still unknown.

Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib said nine of the bodies were found in a grave at Kampung Tanduo, near Lahad Datu, and that based on fresh information it was believed that there could be other graves in the area, state news agency Bernama had reported earlier today.

Speaking at a news conference here at 10am, he said the police would not remove the bodies as they had decomposed.

He also said that security forces recovered a body in Kampung Tanjung Batu yesterday, raising to 23 the number of bodies recovered so far.

Hamza also confirmed that one of the 23 bodies was that of a general, identified only as Musa, who was killed in a clash in Kampung Tanjung Batu.

Hamza said there had been no clashes between the security forces and the Sulu terrorists over the past 24 hours up to 10am today.

The security forces launched the “Ops Daulat” offensive on March 5 after Sulu terrorists killed eight policemen in Kampung Tanduo and Kampung Simunul, Semporna, on March 1 and 2.

Five policemen were also injured in the two attacks.

The terrorists had holed up in Kampung Tanduo since February 12 and had not responded to government overtures for them to lay down arms and surrender unconditionally.

Hamza said the “Ops Daulat” offensive, which entered its eighth day today, was focused on Kampung Tanjung Labian and Kampung Tanjung Batu.

.

3 Comments »

  1. Hi there,

    I recently came across your blog and have found it to be very interesting. You provide a great independent coverage of current affairs in Malaysia, with a well informed commentary.

    I was wondering if you would be interested in sharing your blog on Glipho? Glipho is a new social blogging network that aims to promote the writing of its users and help build their audiences. We are trying to establish a creative community at Glipho, and your blog is just what we are looking for.

    As your blog is powered by WordPress, you can simply import all your old posts to Glipho without affecting your existing blog at all. You can use your Glipho account to connect to any other major social network accounts you may own, so you can spread your blog as far as possible. We also use our own social media accounts to promote your content.

    If you’re interested check out our website at http://glipho.com and have a look around. Please feel free to ask me any questions, and if you would like to receive an invite to set up an account.

    Have a great day,

    Teo

    Glipho Limited
    14 Suite 3 D
    Docklands Business Centre
    10-16 Tiller Road
    London E14 8PX

    (e): teo@glipho.com
    (w): http://www.glipho.com

    Comment by teoatglipho — March 13, 2013 @ 12:05 AM | Reply

  2. LTAT should be donating not less than RM500,000 to each soldier who was killed in the shootout with militants from Sulu. That is the least Malaysians expect of LTAT since the UMNO led BN government could not afford it.

    Comment by Sabri Yaman — March 12, 2013 @ 8:26 PM | Reply

    • 1.Why didnt the government put in more security measures in the East Coast of Sabah when there have been so many cases of kidnappings and killings by the foreigners?
      2.Why did the government give out thousands of ICs to these foreigners under Project IC as has been revealed through the ongoing RCI hearings?
      3.Why was the invasion not even detected by our intelligence and security forces?
      4. Why did the government initially treated these terrorists with kid’s gloves and say they are not terrorists or militants?.
      5.Why send in the police first when it was an external invasion by an army that wants to lay claim to Sabah?

      Comment by Wan Shaf — March 13, 2013 @ 12:05 PM | Reply


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: