Bersih 2.0 chairman Maria Chin Abdullah said the group has not decided on a date for the Bersih 5 rally, with the organising committee only likely to meet on the topic after the August 27 #TangkapMO1 rally.
She said the group needed more time for preparations.
“No, he have not met yet. Maybe after the 27th. No rough date yet,” she told reporters at the Bersih 2.0 office here.
“We have not actually decided on the date yet. Give us some time. We need more time for preparation.”
Chin earlier this month confirmed a fifth instalment of the electoral reform group’s street protests is in the works, which will aim to press for action on the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) case after the US government filed a lawsuit over assets linked to the state investment firm.
On threats of a counter-rally by the so-called “Red Shirts” group led by Umno’s Datuk Jamal Yunos, Chin said both groups have the right to assemble.
“This is already guaranteed in our Federal Constitution, so they can also assemble, and we should also have the right to assemble. But the responsibility has to be taken up by the police to facilitate both groups so that there would not be chaos,” she said.
“We have already proven that we can assemble peacefully. So the red shirts have to do the same.”
She added that Bersih protestors are not violent, and that any racial overtones would be rival group’s doing.
“As you can see during the September 16 rally when they turned up, the whole demonstration of theirs had racial overtones,” she said.