Bersih 5 will proceed without PAS participation on Nov 19, Bersih Chairperson Maria Chin Abdullah confirmed today.
She told The Star Online she had been aware even earlier that the Islamist party would not be part of its rally.
“We respect PAS’ decision and we did know of their decision beforehand.
“Our rally will go on and it is not for PAS nor anyone else to decide for us.”
Asked whether this would result in a largely Chinese turnout, like the Bersih 4.0 rally in August 2015, Chin said the Bersih 5.0 convoy had received support from all races, including Malays.
She was also hoping former Premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s newly-formed Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) would help draw more Malay support for the Nov 19 rally.
PAS Secretary-General Takiyuddin Hassan said the party would not participate in the rally as Bersih currently had other objectives which were not in line with PAS’ stand.
Chin claimed response to Bersih’s convoy had been good.
FMT Reporters Online