It is not really the monsoon season yet for most parts of Malaysia, but many frogs have started to jump about making themselves visible.
Some have even had the audacity to put out their tongues – not to catch the insects – but at each other.
Most are, however, informing the media and announcing their arrival, hoping that all other creatures will make way and welcome them as they croak, despite some of them not announcing to which waterhole they will be jumping to.
At one point of time, we used to have many frogs crossing directly over to each other’s waterholes, and these usually graced the front pages of the print media. These were, however, small tiny frogs who huddled together when they crossed over with their membership forms.
When at one point of time, the King of Frogs Datuk Ibrahim Ali, last waterhole being Umno, held the title, no one dared to call anyone else ‘a frog’ despite there being many other frogs jumping all over the place. But now, bigger frogs are openly entering the fray, and are vying for the title itself.
What has inspired these frogs to make themselves visible now is not to everyone’s knowledge and one can only guess.
Perhaps some may have smelt the insects hidden in the other waterholes, some just wanted to get a change of air and find a new waterhole, while some may have been offered some new kind of insects in the new waterholes.
The contenders for the title of King of Frogs at present are:
1.The sharp nosed frog – Former Prime Minister Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad who jumped from Umno to Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (Bersatu) – the frog with the sharpest nose and sharpest tongue, whose croaks get the most coverage.
2. Backup singing frogs – Former DPM Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin and former Kedah MB Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir who jumped from Umno to Bersatu, probably the only frogs who are acting as the backup singers to Mahathir’s croaks.
3. Bersatu’s small frogs – Umno members who joined Bersatu – one only hears their croaks, but no one understands what kind of frog specie they really are.
4. The ‘honest’ frogs – PAS biggies who joined Amanah including former PAS Deputy President Mat Sabu. These are religious frogs who jumped about until they formed Amanah and they are croaking to heaven hoping the divine powers will help the. For now, the skies are not opening up and they are asking help from those on the ground.
5. Best hopper this decade – Ezam Mohd Nor – probably the best contender for King of Frogs, for he had jumped from Umno to PKR in 1998 to join his then boss Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, only to fall out with his boss, then jump back to Umno in 2008, and last week, he said he had enough and he jumped out of Umno again. During his latest jump, he criticised the government’s classification of a report on 1MDB by the Auditor-General under the Official Secrets Act (OSA).
6. Sabah DAP frog – Junz Wong (Likas) who exited DAP to join the new party of ex-Umno Datuk Shafie Apdal, which has yet to be registered.
7. PKR Sabah frogs – Sabah PKR chief Lajim Ukin (Klias) and Terence Siambun (Moyog), Sabah PKR secretary Maijol Mahap, Sabah PKR Wanita chief Johair Matlani and Sabah DAP deputy chief Joan Goh Penn Nee, who will also be joining Shafie’s Sabahan party.
Whatever it is they are jumping to or jumping for, at the moment, all of them are croaking as loud as they can and the noise is a cacophony of croaks which no humans in their right mind can understand.
One can only hope the rains will come and flood the waterholes and wash them all down the river and take them into the sea, and let human beings stay sane when they vote come next General Election.
As for those who may maim the writer for calling party-hoppers frogs, please bear in mind, frogs are cute creatures when they stay still.