Sarawak police have assured that a fight between two Indonesian groups on Oct 9 at a plantation in Gedong, Simunjan, has been contained.
Police also warned the public against posting rumours on social media, adding that an auxiliary policeman had been detained for doing just that.
“Action can be taken under the Communications and Multimedia Act, 1988, for causing fear among the community,” Sarawak Criminal Investigation Department head SAC Dev Kumar was quoted as saying by the New Sarawak Tribune.
He said no one was killed in the fight between the two Indonesian groups, as alleged on social media. He said the fight was an isolated incident.
“One person was injured. He has been interviewed by the Simunjan police,” he said.
Kumar confirmed that several arrests had been made.
He said an auxiliary policeman attached to the plantation was also being held for questioning “for posting false information (on social media)”.
“His mobile phone has been seized,” said Kumar.
The case is being investigated under Section 233(1) (a) of the Communications and Multimedia Act, 1988.
The auxiliary policeman allegedly advised the public in a Facebook posting to avoid the plantation “for their own safety”.
A Borneo Post report said the posting by the auxiliary policeman included several photos. He had allegedly stated that the fight involved Indonesian workers of Bugis and Timorese descent and that one person had died, according to the report.
The posting went viral on Oct 9.
FMT Reporters Online