Dr Mahathir Mohamad should just keep silent and let the public think he’s stupid than to actually confirm this by speaking up, said Umno Minister Nazri Aziz, in responding to the former prime minister’s dismissal of Budget 2017.
Mahathir had earlier said that on Friday, Prime Minister Najib Razak would promise millions of ringgit in allocations during his Budget 2017 speech, but that it would be hogwash as the government was broke.
“If the government has no money, then how are we going to run the country next year? Please tell him to shut up,” Nazri told reporters outside the Dewan Rakyat today.
“It is better for him to keep quiet and for people to think he is stupid, than for him to open his mouth and confirm that he really is stupid.”
The tourism and culture minister added that the reason he had “spared” Mahathir was solely because he believed the 91-year-old was “going senile.”
“And (he is) driven by revenge towards Najib Razak for ousting his son (former Kedah Menteri Besar Mukhriz Mahathir).
“It’s pretty obvious he is throwing a tantrum. Everything he has done for the past year, nothing seemed to affect Najib and that is making him more frustrated.
“So he is taking cheap shots here and there.”
Last weekend, Mahathir sarcastically told a gathering in Shah Alam that the budget would be an “excellent one” as billions of ringgit would be announced as allocations to ministries and government agencies.
“Actually, this is only a stage play (sandiwara). The allocations are mere empty promises as even now the government has no money,” he was quoted as saying.