The local branch of Bersih 2.0 will ask Chief Minister Tan Sri Adenan Satem to convince Kuching North City Hall (DBKU) to let the group use the amphitheatre at Jalan Budaya for the Bersih 5 rally on November 19.
The DBKU has rejected the group’s application to use the location for the rally.
“We hope he will give the permission this time just as he did when he directed Kuching South City Council (MBKS) to allow Bersih 4 gathering to be held at Song Kheng Hai Ground last year,” spokesman Ann Teo said.
“There is no reason for DBKU to refuse give permission because our past gatherings had always been peaceful,” Teo said, pointing out that nothing untoward occurred during the Bersih 3 sit-in at the Old Courthouse-Kuching Waterfront in 2014 and Bersih 4 last year.
Teo said the chief minister was reported as saying that his administration saw no problems with peaceful rallies and that he even gave the state civil servants the go-ahead to attend the rally at last year.
Teo also said the organising committee will stick to the amphitheatre for the rally regardless of whether permission is granted.
The organising committee will meet Kuching district police chief Senior Assistant Commissioner Abang Ahmad Abang Julai at Simpang Tiga police headquarters here later today.
She said the organising committee initially applied to DBKU for the use the Padang Merdeka, but it was rejected on grounds that it is near to Sarawak River where the Sarawak Regatta will also be held on November 18 to 20.
Source : The Malay Mail Online