A WhatsApp message was sent to Bersih 2.0 chairman Maria Chin’s handphone with edited images of decapitated heads of six persons by ISIS at 12.49am yesterday.
The six were Maria and her three sons, Dato Ambiga and Mandeep Singh, a press statement issued by Bersih 2.0 Steering Committee from Petaling Jaya stated yesterday.
“It’s horrific for anyone to be so low as to attack human rights activists personally.
“We don’t believe it is a threat from ISIS, but rather it is done by people who do not want us to continue with our Bersih 5 rally and convoy.
“This is based on a similar death threat note that was sent earlier last month.
“For reference, go to https://www.bersih.org/media-statement-18-october-2016-bersih-2-0-chairperson-manager-former-chair-lodge-police-report-after-receiving-death-threat-from-isis-malaysia,” the release said.
The committee believed that they were creating waves of hope and resistance through their convoy which had been ongoing for the past six weeks.
“We have been successful and well-received in the towns we have visited. That’s why some people are scared of the people’s power. Such death threats are meant to crush our spirit and instill fear in the public.
“As this is the second threat in a month, the police need to take it more seriously and arrest the culprit(s). If they can trace the mobile numbers and act swiftly in other cases, why not ours?
“Bersih 2.0 is not intimidated and we will remain resolute in calling for our five demands to fight for clean and fair elections and democratic governance. Our freedom of assembly and expression is enshrined in the Federal Constitution (Article 10), and that’s what we will continue to fight for,” the release said.
The Bersih 5 rally on Nov 19 is on and all Malaysians are invited to stand tall with them as the struggle is for a new Malaysia.
Source : The Borneo Post Online