Hornbill Unleashed

December 16, 2016

Sarawak PKR man surrenders over Facebook post on Bill Kayong murder

Filed under: Politics — Hornbill Unleashed @ 8:02 AM

Sarawak PKR vice chairman See Chee How (pic) said that Vernon Aji Kedit reported himself in after learning that the police were looking for him. — Picture by Sulok TawiePolice questioned Sarawak PKR information chief Vernon Aji Kedit today after he turned himself in over a Facebook post accusing politicians of being responsible for the murder of the party’s Miri secretary Bill Kayong.

Sarawak PKR vice chairman See Chee How said that Kedit reported himself in after learning that the police were looking for him.

“He volunteered himself to report to the police at 5pm this afternoon,” the Batu Lintang state assemblyman, who accompanied Kedit to the One Stop Centre, told Malay Mail Online when contacted.

See said he does not think that Kedit, who stood as a PKR candidate in Layar in the last state elections, will be charged in court as his posting “does not constitute an offence”.

“It all boils down to the issuance of provisional lease, covering the native customary rights (NCR) land, to a plantation company by the government,” he said, adding that Kedit gave an explanation on why he made the posting.

Kedit uploaded two photos showing the arrest of businessman Datuk Stephen Lee Chee Kiang, claiming that the businessman was not the “real criminal” in the death of Kayong, but the government, elected representatives and ministers who were the real thieves and murderers.

Sarawak Criminal Investigation Department (CID) head Datuk Dev Kumar said that the police were not amused with this posting as it appeared to be belittling the hard work done by the police in tracking and bringing back the suspect to face justice.

A police report was lodged yesterday against Kedit.

Lee, said to be the mastermind behind the killing of Kayong, was provisionally charged in a Miri Magistrate’s Court yesterday with abetting a murder.

He was arrested by authorities in China on December 12 before being handed over to the Malaysian police and then brought to Miri.

The charge sheet reportedly stated that Lee, together with Lie Chang Loon, Chin Wui Chung as well as another person who is still on the loose, had on June 21 at the traffic light near E-Mart at Kuala Baram abetted Mohamad Fitri Pauzi in commissioning Kayong’s murder.

No plea was recorded and the court has fixed December 30 for mention.

The offence carries the mandatory death penalty upon conviction.

Lee left the country days after Kayong was gunned down while he was in his Toyota Hilux vehicle at a traffic intersection in Jalan Kuala Baram near Lutong, Miri, on June 21.

Kayong was actively involved in fighting for native land rights in the state.

Source : @ The Malay Mail Online


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: