The Attorney-General’s Chambers is waiting for police to resubmit its investigation papers into an alleged sexual abuse case in a tahfiz school in Ipoh owned by renowned preacher Mohammad Kazim Elias.
“We have given certain instructions to the investigating officer to collect more evidence before we make a decision,” Solicitor-General Zauyah Be T Loth Khan told FMT.
She said the chambers will study the investigation papers to determine whether there was a prima facie case.
A news portal yesterday said the AGC had asked for more evidence, nearly four months after police announced that it had wrapped up investigations.
Police previously announced the investigation ended on Aug 27, barely two weeks after the mother of a victim lodged a report over the alleged sexual abuse.
Investigators recorded statements from 10 people including students, the alleged victim, and authorities from the Darul Barakah school which teaches Quran memorisation.
Kazim had denied the allegation, and vowed to turn over the culprit, even if it was a member of his own family, if the investigation revealed there was a case to be answered.
Last month, Kazim sent a letter of demand to the mother, demanding an apology for the allegation, or RM8 million in damages for libel, as it had “affected the reputation and reputable track record of the school”, including his religious reputation.
Former celebrity Wardina Safiyyah and social activist Syed Azmi Alhabshi also received legal notices for allegedly making the claims viral on their Facebook pages.
Source : @ FMT Online
@ FMT Online