Under probe for sedition, Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng today questioned why “speedy” action was not taken against BN leaders when reports were lodged against them.
He said this followed the latest “speedy investigation by the police” on Jan 13 against him under the Sedition Act, based on a Nov 24 police report.
This raised serious concerns that police and other enforcement agencies were “merely political tools for the BN federal government to shield pro-BN leaders who committed wrongdoings” and to destroy opposition leaders.
“The BN federal government can only rebut such negative perception by taking quick action against those who made threats against the safety and even lives of Malaysians who have the courage to oppose BN’s unjust and cruel policies,” Lim said in a statement.
“Is Malaysia a nation of ‘one country, two systems’?”
Lim was investigated by police over a statement he made last year on the proposed amendments to the Syariah Courts (Criminal Jurisdiction) Act 1965.
Lim had said in the statement that DAP opposed the proposal because it was “hudud-like” and against the Federal Constitution.
Several police reports were lodged against him, including one by a 13-year-old in Ampang.
The DAP secretary-general and Bagan MP said he was “shocked” a 13-year-old had “the power to persuade” the police to investigate him and make an elected chief minister spend an hour explaining his November statement to police.
Lim said he too had been threatened and his family members falsely accused of crimes that never took place, but the police and the federal government did not take quick action against those who made the threats and accusations.
He cited the accusation made against his teenage son six years ago. The then 15-year old was accused of molesting a female classmate in school in Penang.
“The picture of the alleged victim, a Hong Kong chess player who never set foot in Penang or met my son, was posted on the internet by pro-Umno bloggers.
“The bloggers are unpunished until today, even though they were responsible for the baseless allegation.
“Despite police investigating for six years, the probe is still ongoing to find the people who spread the false news.
“No arrests have been made,” he said, referring to an answer he received in Parliament from Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.
Source : Looi Sue-Chern @ FMT Online