Hornbill Unleashed

June 12, 2017

Nancy: RM1k ‘officially’ paid to Shafee, not privy to AGC’s dealings

Filed under: Politics — Hornbill Unleashed @ 8:01 AM

As far as Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Nancy Shukri is aware of, senior lawyer Muhammad Shafee Abdullah was only paid an official sum of RM1,000 for his role as prosecutor in the Sodomy II case at the Court of Appeal and Federal Court.

However, the Batang Sadong MP said she could not weigh in on allegations of other payments made to Shafee, as she was not privy to the arrangements made by the Attorney-General’s (AG) Chambers.

Nancy said that her answer to Parliament in 2015 that Shafee had only received RM1,000 was based on information given to her as then-de facto law minister by the AG’s Chambers, and it remains unchanged.

“As far as I remember, whatever response was given to me to reply in Parliament, that was the official one,” she told Malaysiakini.

Nancy said Shafee believed he was performing a “national service”.

Whistleblower site Sarawak Report, citing leaked investigation papers, previously claimed that Shafee had received two payments totalling RM9.5 million directly from Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak.

However, Nancy was unaware of this.

“Other than that, I do not know. I mean all those allegations, I cannot confirm nor refute them because as far as I’m concerned officially, the answer given to me was RM1,000.

“The thing is, the dealing was through the AG’s Chambers. I was just the minister in charge. I don’t deal with documents.

“I was only given the answer based on what they have done and based on the questions, I will answer in Parliament, that’s it,” she said.

Putrajaya, in a surprise move on July 22, 2013, recruited Shafee to lead the prosecution team against PKR de facto leader Anwar Ibrahim at the Court of Appeal, instead of the conventional practice of relying on public prosecutors.

The Court of Appeal sentenced Anwar to five years’ imprisonment on March 7, 2014, overturning his previous acquittal by the High Court in Kuala Lumpur.

The Federal Court on Feb 10, 2015, upheld the decision to convict Anwar on the charge that he sodomised his former aide, Saiful Bukhari Azlan.

Sarawak Report claimed that the first payment of RM4.3 million to Shafee was transferred on Sept 13, 2013, and the second payment of RM5.2 million was made on Feb 17, 2014.

Following the allegation, Anwar’s lawyers filed a legal challenge seeking to overturn his conviction.

Both Najib and Shafee have declined to comment. Shafee has said that he will issue a statement at a later date.


Source : Malaysiakini


Advertisements

1 Comment »

  1. Now that Sarawak Report has published a very serious allegation that Najib had paid Shafee RM 9.5 million from his personal bank account which also received over RM40 million from SRC International, will Nancy dare ask Najib in Parliament if it was true?

    Comment by Mata Kuching — June 12, 2017 @ 8:40 PM | Reply


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: